Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Sunday, August 26, 2012

First Parts Completed - Post Mortem

As I mentioned in the previous post, I wanted to use the first parts as a learning tool to fine tune my process for creating the frame parts. Unfortunately, one of the smaller parts was cut too close to the line and ended up being unusable.

Lesson Learned #1 - Insure that you have adequate lighting when cutting out the parts.

Although I knew that I had to cut away from the line outlining the frame, I got too close because of difficulty seeing the line. The light in my garage is not too bad, but for this type of work, a brighter light is needed. So I will spend some time to obtain a second light source before cutting out the next parts.

Monday, August 20, 2012


The weekend was pretty busy with other tasks so I didn't get a chance to do anything until yesterday afternoon. I've started laying out the frame parts on the mahogany. This is where taking the time earlier to lay these out on scale drawings has made this task easier. The parts fit on the real wood even better than the scale drawings.

I haven't had a chance to cut these initial pieces out yet, but I hope to begin doing that either tonight or tomorrow. I've decided to begin with just one board in order to learn and get used to the process. The wood is too expensive to screw up on so I am taking my time.

One of the parts is the bottom frame piece and establishes the width of the boat at the bottom. Looking at the part, I was amazed at how big it was. The boat is going to be fairly large.

Already in this process, I've determined that I need to buy a belt sander next. This is because cutting out the parts cannot rely upon me keeping the jig saw on the lines that I've drawn on the wood. My intention is to cut outside the line a small amount, and then sand the wood down to the line. Going to create a lot of dust!!!

So I'll post some pictures as soon as I get some of the parts cut out.

Update 6/10/2015: I've decided to add a small tidbit about the patterns. Because of paper shrinkage, they are a bit smaller than the measured dimensions in the plans. I learned this in October of 2012 (see "Bit Of A Setback To Deal With" in sidebar). I resorted to laying out the measured dimensions on a large layout board and then using that to aid in getting the frame parts correct. Rather than repeat all of that here, it is suggested that you read that posting and subsequent posting to see what I did.

Friday, August 17, 2012

Picked Up Lumber Today!!

Today was the day to drive down to Houston and pick up the first order of lumber. Because of the cost of this stuff, I could only order some of the lumber I needed. So this first order includes 7 pieces of mahogany 9 feet long, a sheet of 3/4" plywood, and a sheet of 3/8" plywood.

Friday, August 10, 2012

Initial Lumber Supplies Ordered

So today is another concrete step in the direction of building this boat. This step makes it more official in my mind. I'm more committed to carrying this through now, even though I was already very committed to do this. But it's no longer just talk, thinking, or low hanging fruit. The order for the first portion of the lumber was placed today with Houston Hardwoods. This lumber will be enough to build all of the frames except the transom as well as a portion of the keel.

The price of quality mahogany is quite high as is the price of marine grade plywood. The last week has been spent trying various combinations of laying out the patterns in an attempt to get the most parts from the least amount of wood.

Saturday, August 4, 2012

Lumber Plan Completed

I've completed my lumber plan. This took longer than expected but I wanted to try and get the pieces laid out in such a way as to minimize waste. The difficulty lies in the fact that most of the parts are not straight. Determining a rough cut for each part is easy enough. You simply need to determine the length and width necessary to accommodate each piece. But what this doesn't do is show how pieces can sometimes be placed next each other in such a way as to use less wood.

I am also trying to decide whether to buy a band saw or a quality jig saw. The band saw would probably be easier to use, but will cost much more than the jig saw.I am delaying making a decision on this until I have a chance to discuss lumber prices with the supplier.

Regarding a lumber supplier. There are three places I have narrowed it down to. There is an outfit in San Antonio, one in Houston, and one in Austin. My preference is is to use the Austin location because it is convenient, but that will depend upon availability, pricing, and my general feel about the place. That will be my task for this week.

Not much else to report at this point. Life has kept me busy this week. Until , next time....