Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Monday, August 20, 2012

Started!!

The weekend was pretty busy with other tasks so I didn't get a chance to do anything until yesterday afternoon. I've started laying out the frame parts on the mahogany. This is where taking the time earlier to lay these out on scale drawings has made this task easier. The parts fit on the real wood even better than the scale drawings.

I haven't had a chance to cut these initial pieces out yet, but I hope to begin doing that either tonight or tomorrow. I've decided to begin with just one board in order to learn and get used to the process. The wood is too expensive to screw up on so I am taking my time.

One of the parts is the bottom frame piece and establishes the width of the boat at the bottom. Looking at the part, I was amazed at how big it was. The boat is going to be fairly large.

Already in this process, I've determined that I need to buy a belt sander next. This is because cutting out the parts cannot rely upon me keeping the jig saw on the lines that I've drawn on the wood. My intention is to cut outside the line a small amount, and then sand the wood down to the line. Going to create a lot of dust!!!

So I'll post some pictures as soon as I get some of the parts cut out.

Update 6/10/2015: I've decided to add a small tidbit about the patterns. Because of paper shrinkage, they are a bit smaller than the measured dimensions in the plans. I learned this in October of 2012 (see "Bit Of A Setback To Deal With" in sidebar). I resorted to laying out the measured dimensions on a large layout board and then using that to aid in getting the frame parts correct. Rather than repeat all of that here, it is suggested that you read that posting and subsequent posting to see what I did.

Click Here To Comment:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment on what you've read here. I only ask that you keep it civil.