Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Thursday, October 11, 2012

New Layout Board

My second attempt at a layout board has been completed and the measurements added for frames 1 through 6. Frame 0, the transom, is not on there yet because that frame is going to take some additional thought before laying out.

That is because, the transom is mounted at a 12 degree angle from vertical and the drawing has some notes about the transom being shown true size and having to adjust for the angle. Since I haven't studied that part yet, I felt it best to wait until I understood better where the measured points will be.

At this point, I am ready to start re-doing the initial fitting of Frames 5 and 6 and make the corrections necessary for those frames. Then I will examine the other frames and also make any corrections needed for those. I will not be able to do Frames 1 and 2 because I do not have enough lumber to complete them yet. Probably later this year or after the holidays since mahogany is fairly expensive.

Here is one photo of the layout board. There are a few more images in the photo gallery (link in upper right corner of the blog site).


The line at the bottom of the photo is the baseline where all vertical measurements are taken from. The layout board is actually two pieces of plywood connected together. You can see the joint in the center of the picture. Just to the left of that are two vertical lines. The one closest to the joint is the centerline (the other was the first centerline but it was too far left). The centerline is used for all horizontal measurements.

The center line is 90 degrees perpendicular to the baseline but looks a bit off when compared to the joint because the baseline is not exactly parallel to the edge of the panel. This is fine as long as the center line and the baseline are exactly perpendicular to each other. I took great pains to insure this was so. The other marks are the chine, sheer, keel  points as well as some other reference lines that will be needed later.

The various points are determined by measuring up from the baseline and left or right from the centerline. All points are labeled for later use. So until next time.......

Click Here To Comment:

  1. Carl - what is the size of your layout board? I have been struggling with how best to build and use the board. I am not happy wiht my approach. I have my blue prints color coded and found it pretty easy to get the side frame members laid out and half of the bottom memebers but still have to transfer thsse to full size bottom members to work out correctly.

    sorry for the host of questions and comments this evening. I just found you site and have been heavily into designing and redesigning the Vera Cruz (to be named Lady Eve) for a while and the surgery left me with too much time on my hands without the physical ability to do much heavy lifting for several months. You are far enough ahead of me I hope you help keep me out of trouble.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Problem here John.

      My initial layout board was one sheet of plywood 4 by 8 but that was insufficient. I ended up connecting two 4 by 8 sheets together, which is large enough. However, if I were starting over, I would do things a bit differently now.

      I would still use the same two sheets, however instead of 3/8 inch thick I would go with a heavier 5/8 inch or maybe even 3/4 inch. This is primarily because the thinner material doesn't leave enough material for nails to bite into when trying to hold items to the board.

      If I had the room, I would put this board at a comfortable working height. It would have to be braced in order to remain level. My current design lies on the floor and requires me to spend a bunch of time on my knees while working on it. I bought knee pads which help, but it's still far too much stooping and bending over and having to get back up every two minutes.

      The main thing I found to be useful is creating a reference line and then measuring out all the reference points from the frame view of the plans. By reference points I mean, chine, sheer, and keel points as well as carling points. These reference points were invaluable in getting the parts laid out correctly and in in helping me to place them in the correct position as I assemble the frames.

      Delete

Feel free to comment on what you've read here. I only ask that you keep it civil.