Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Thursday, April 11, 2013

I've Been Waiting To Do This For Months

The title kinda says it all. although I am still a ways from actually assembling the boat (still have four more frames to glue up), I couldn't resist taking frames 5 and 6 and placing them with the stem to see what the boat might look like.

I'm pretty jazzed at this point because I can now start seeing what has only been in my head for months. I completed the gussets on frame 5 and 6  a couple of days ago, then the weather went colder again forcing me to wait. I will need to install the floor timbers which will connect the open ends of the frames and provide a mounting point for the stem.

Here are the frames after the last gussets were added. I still have to clean up the glue lines and a bit of overhanging wood. Leaning against the workbench, you can sort of see how large these two parts are. Frames 3 and 4 are a little wider but also a little shorter. The floor timbers will be added to the open sections near the floor.



Here are a couple of close ups to show how the gussets add strength to the joints. You can see that they are fairly stout.




And here is what I am jazzed about. Keep in mind that the parts are upside down at this point since that is the way the boat will be built initially. You cab begin to see how the bow will look in these shots. This makes it real for me. Others may still just see some wood parts stuck together. That's okay because I will keep plugging along until they see what I see.




The stem is the curved piece and forms the shape of the bow. It will eventually be laminated together with epoxy glue and then reinforced with bronze wood screws. The sheer (not shown here) will be the horizontal part connecting the frame corners (at the floor) and it will run from the bow to the stern of the boat. The chine serves the same function except that it connects at the midpoint of the frames (where the center gussets are on frame 5).

One thing I've already realized is that when the boat is mounted on the building form it will be approximately 12 to 16 inches higher off the ground. When I was standing next to the assembly, I could see that I was going to have to get something to stand on when I begin working on the very bottom of the boat because that will be about as high as my neck is right now.

Well, from here, I have to continue with the other frames and then get started making the building form. It will probably be another month or two before I actually get to assembling the boat on the form. We'll see. I definitely not going to rush this because getting the frames correct is crucial to the overall construction of the boat.

So until next week,,,,,,,,,

Click Here To Comment:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment on what you've read here. I only ask that you keep it civil.