Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Sunday, April 7, 2013

Continuing The Frame Assembly Process

This will be short since what I am currently doing is a lot of repetitive tasks. I have been continuing gluing up the frame assemblies. I am primarily limited by the amount of space I have for gluing up these assemblies.

The epoxy needs to cure a minimum of eight hours before I feel comfortable moving on to the next piece. It typically takes about 30 to 45 minutes to do each task, then waiting until I can do the next one. I also have to do this on days when the temperature is above 50 degrees. We had a few cold days over the last 10 days, so I was not able to do any gluing.

I haven't had any real issues with gluing up the assemblies since the first attempt, and I am getting comfortable with the process I am using. In between waiting for the epoxy to cure, I have been doing research into weight and balance calculations and designing some software to perform these calculations. I will cover this more in a later article.

This software design work was prompted by the recent redesign of the cabin that I wrote about. I want to make sure that this will not affect the balance of the boat. In addition, I know that at some point I will need to begin installing equipment into the boat. The software is being designed to aid in that process.

Here is the only new picture I have, pretty much like the last few that I have posted recently. By the time I post the next article, I will have some completed frame assemblies to show. The most noticeable thing about this shot is that frame 6 (in the center) has been flipped over and I am beginning to glue the other backside gussets into place.



Since this photo was taken I have completed frame 6 except for the floor timber and frame 5 has had all the gussets attached to one side. The floor timbers are attached with screws rather than boat nails and I need to buy a tapered drill bit for drilling the pilot holes for the screws. As soon as I get that drill bit, I will add the floor timbers to frame 6. Frame 5 has all the gussets on the backside remaining before I do the floor timber.

The only other frame with any work completed is frame 4 which has had the side members glued together and gusseted. I am waiting to get frames 5 and 6 completed since I need the layout board to continue on frame 4.

Anyway, that's about it for now.

Click Here To Comment:

  1. I find myself curious as to why brass ring nails are used as opposed to brass screws. Do you have any thoughts on this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sean,

      I'm not an expert on boat design, but I can think of two reasons that ring nails are used instead of screws. Weight and cost. The screws cost considerably more.

      However, there are plenty of users I have heard of that have gone the screw approach when nails are called out. Screws are very good choices from a structural sense. In the case of my frame build,at the time I was doing this, I was reluctant to make any deviations from the plans. Still, I am quite confident that the nails will do just fine here. Really, the epoxy is doing the lion's share of the holding. The fasteners are more as a safety net.

      Delete

Feel free to comment on what you've read here. I only ask that you keep it civil.