Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Thursday, July 4, 2013

Happy 4th Of July

Well, here in the states, we celebrate another anniversary of our independence. This typically involves barbeques, swimming pools, picnics, and of course fireworks. In our household we will be going semi-traditional, cooking polish sausages over coals with BBQ corn on the cob and a few beers. This evening, we will most likely brave the crowds and parking issues so we can see the fireworks display our city is putting on. The show is usually pretty good with the finale always delighting everyone in attendance.

But not all of today will be in celebration. I am still on vacation this week and I still hope to get near completing the frame portion of my boat build. Frame 6 is now completed, including the wood inlay artwork and final epoxy encapsulation. I am very pleased with the decision to go with the wood inlays from Chesapeake Light Craft. Installing them was a straightforward process.

Last week I showed the process of getting the inlays ready. To complete the process, required taping off the seam between the inlay and the veneer so that resin did not seep up onto the inlay. I also taped off the edges. I used painter's blue tape for all of this because I have found that this tape comes off easily even if it has been left on too long and the resin has cured. The idea of course is to pull it off before that happens but sometimes it is not practical.

Once I had the veneer / inlay ready to go, I coated the backside and the the surface of the gusset with unthickened epoxy and then laid the veneer down onto the gusset. It wanted to slide around a bit so I secured it with several small pieces of blue tape. Then I covered the entire piece with a sheet of wax paper (wonderful stuff) and carefully laid a plywood board on top of it. Then on top of that I carefully set a cinder block. You have to be careful in these steps because the veneer can still move a little.

After the resin was cured I cleaned up the glue lines and installed the end caps made previously. After that epoxy had cured and been cleaned up, the frame was wiped down and given three coats of epoxy.

The final result, well the pictures show it best.





At a future date, the backside of this frame will get a plywood sheet to close off the forward portion of the boat. There will be an opening in the sheet to allow access to that compartment. That compartment will be were the anchor will be stowed. I haven't decided yet if the opening will have a hatch cover or not.

The lower triangular floor timber will support the berthing compartment floor and will be painted to match the rest of the bilge area, hence the reason there is no veneer on that portion.

Frame 5 is bit further behind with several veneers and most of the end caps to still install. It also has not been encapsulated yet. At this point the only photo I have that has not previously been published is this shot of the end caps. They are ready to install, but the veneers have to be installed and cleaned up first. I was hoping to complete frame 5 by the weekend but I think it may go into next week.


The only other frame to work on after this is the transom. I will need to purchase a sheet of 3/4 inch plywood before I can move forward on that. I suspect that won't be until the weekend of the 13th since the lumber yard is not conveniently located to my home or work.

So this ends this week's update. I hope all of you who celebrate the 4th are enjoying yourselves. For those of you who are not celebrating, well, I hope you are still having a good day. Take care.

Click Here To Comment:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment on what you've read here. I only ask that you keep it civil.