Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Thursday, July 11, 2013

More Frame Work.................

After last week's flurry of activity, this week has been quite a bit slower. Frame work is winding down now as I complete the last work on frame 5. That work includes completing the dressing up of the gussets and some additional reinforcement work.

This frame required more work dressing gussets than frame 6 for two reasons. There are two extra gussets to deal with and I had to dress up both sides of the frame. The veneers were completed last week as well as several of the gusset end caps. I completed the remaining end caps on Sunday. Here are photos of the completed gussets. They have not been coated with epoxy yet.




The junction on frame 5 where the stem connects looked like it could use some additional reinforcing. You will recall that the stem is the curved piece that forms the shape of the bow. It will be made from three pieces of laminated plywood and will be connected to frame 5 like this older photo shows.



Frame 5 is the frame at the back of the picture and frame 6 is the forward frame. The stem butts into frame 5 and is glued and screwed into position. The picture doesn't show the floor timber but the screws will go through the back of the floor timber into the end of the stem. Additionally the entire assembly will be glued into the slot in the floor timber.



This floor timber consists of two pieces of 3/4 inch plywood sandwiching the frame members and a mahogany filler block. The following photos show the sequence of events of construction for this portion of frame 5. In the first photo the back floor timber is already in position. The filler block has been made from mahogany and fitted to match the interior section of the frame members.



A paper template is used to get the shape of the second floor timber.



The second floor timber after it is cut and sanded to shape.


All the pieces and the stem


And once again, the completed floor timber


The additional thickness of the slot will strengthen this critical junction between frame and stem. There will be other reinforcement from the secondary structure of the boat when I get to it.

Still to come for frame 5 is encapsulation of both sides with epoxy. That will take several days. I also plan to glue up the stem this week and get it encapsulated as well.

The transom frame was supposed to be the next project on the list. It still needs a sheet of 3/4 inch plywood and two gussets. The plywood is very expensive and financial concerns dictated that I wait  for awhile before purchasing this. This primarily has to do with the cost of transport. Shipping one sheet is not cost effective nor is going to get it.

Since I also need to purchase lumber for the building form and assemble that structure, I have decided to move in that direction and continue to save money for additional lumber that I will need. When I have sufficient funds, then I will purchase the lumber in a larger quantity and thereby justify the cost of getting it delivered.

So that's it for this week. 

Click Here To Comment:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment on what you've read here. I only ask that you keep it civil.