Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Thursday, September 26, 2013

Short Update

As is sometimes the case, projects have to take a backseat to other things in one's life. That has been the way it has been for several weeks now, so the amount of work on the boat has slowed to a crawl. This is not necessarily a bad thing since I am in saving mode for more lumber and I will need several months before there's enough saved. So the few tasks I have that I can work on will last longer.

Of course, this puts pressure on my goal to get the hull flipped by next summer. But I have completed a few things. Rather than getting into the mundane aspects of these tasks, I'll simply list them and include the new pictures.

Up first, the breasthook has been glued up and encapsulated. The breasthook connects to the top forward end of the stem and provides a place to anchor the sheer longitudinal pieces to the stem. It has not been attached yet. That will have to wait for the stem to be permanently attached first. That task is waiting on some notches for the keel to be cut in the stem and frame 5.





 I also have been working on the knee. The knee will provide a connection between the keel longitudinal and the transom frame. Basically it passes the load from the transom to the rest of the structure.  That piece has been cut out, and glued up, but not yet encapsulated. The third photo shows the glue up after two members have been glued together, however, there are actually three pieces laminated together in the final piece.




And finally, I've started working out how to cut the notches in the frame members for the keel and the battens. The next picture shows an early rig to do this on the transom frame.

However, this approach didn't work so well. The surface needed to keep the router steady is insufficient. So I am formulating an alternative jig to perform the task. I still plan on using a router, but the jig will need to provide more surface area for the router to ride on.


This coming week I will be encapsulating the knee and hopefully getting back to the notches. I'd like to get to a point where I can immediately begin adding the keel and battens when I get the lumber. There are seven notches per frame and five frames to add notches to, so that will take a bit of time to accomplish.

So that's it for now. I'll try to get enough work done so that the updates aren't too short.

Click Here To Comment:

  1. Compromise seems to be one of the natures of boat building. Glad to see you're moving forward.

    Conall

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Conall,

      I knew when I started that these situations would crop up. What I am hoping is that I can complete the build in a reasonable amount of time.

      Delete

Feel free to comment on what you've read here. I only ask that you keep it civil.