Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Thursday, February 28, 2013

Cutting Transom Batten Notches

This will be a fairly low productivity update because life prevented me from getting much done this week. With remodeling a bedroom and working late several days, the boat had to wait. Sigh!

However, All is not lost because I did manage to get one notch cut in the transom. Readers might remember that the transom bottom edge was cut at an angle of 12 degrees. The next step was to cut notches in the bottom edge for longitudinal batten members to rest in later in construction.

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Cutting The Transom Angle

This last weekend I finished sanding the remaining main frame pieces to shape as well as the breasthook parts. I still have to make gussets for frames 0 and 1 as well as initial fitting of the frames together. That will come later.




Because frame 0 (the transom) is slanted 12 degrees back from vertical, the bottom edge of the transom has to be cut at an angle. I described this in a previous post. This angle needs to be cut at 12 degrees. 

Friday, February 15, 2013

Coming Up With A Boat Name

So what’s in a name? Specifically a boat name. The title that we give to our boats reflects something that we feel or have experienced, or perhaps is a reference to someone or someplace. Maybe it tells us something about the owner. It may even be just a made up name with no connection whatsoever to the owner or the boat. Other’s consider their boat as a place to express their humor and the name is chosen for this reason.

Deciding on the boat name can be a simple process, perhaps the first thought that comes to mind when you see the boat. Or maybe it’s named after someone so no real thought is necessary. The name may have been around for years in someone’s mind with no boat to attach it to. Or it might have come from a book. Each owner decides on the name according to their own desires, needs, experiences, thoughts, or whim.

For me, naming my boat has been a drawn out affair because I had specific desires to have the name reflect how I feel about the boat and building her. Since I decided to build a wooden boat, I wanted to make it an expression of art. I feel it is necessary to take the time to make it as nice as I can and maintain some sense of the style for the period she was designed in. My boat was designed in the mid 1950’s and has that classic look from that time. I knew from the beginning that she would probably be different than most boats on any given day on the lake. This is the way I wanted it to be.

Thursday, February 7, 2013

Sanding, Sanding, and More Sanding

The title pretty much says it all. The stem is a fairly large piece and there are three of them to sand. Furthermore, I've been somewhat limited this week on the time to spend working on the boat. But I am getting there slowly but surely.

I did purchase two fine pieces of mahogany last Saturday which will be used for the remaining frame parts and the keel. I haven't gotten to the point of laying anything out on them yet. Probably not until early next week with all the sanding I still have to do.

The sanding process is fairly straightforward. All of the parts are cut wide of the mark using the jig saw. Since most parts are made in pairs (or more), I start with the first part and carefully sand it down to the drawn lines. I try to maintain nice straight edges on the straight parts and smoothly flowing curves on the curved edges. I also strive to keep the edges nice and square in relation to the sides of the part.

Next I take the first part and align it to the drawn lines on the second part. The second part is on the bottom. As long as there is overlap all the way around the part this doesn't need to be perfect. I clamp the parts together and then run a few drywall screws through them in order to hold them together after I remove the clamps. All screw holes are pre-drilled with a smaller drill bit to prevent any possibility of the wood splitting when I drive the screws.

The last part of the process is sanding the bottom part until the sanding belt reaches the already sanded upper part. I need to be careful in the last few passes so as not to damage the first part. What I'm striving for here is two identical parts that almost look like one part. There should be no ridges when running my fingers up and down the edges between the two parts.

So as to lend some visual interest, here are a couple of update photos. Don't mind the ogre in the last photo. He only charged me a small amount of money to work in his garage!


Here are the two parts lined up and screwed together.




I wanted to show some pictures of the stem and breasthook, but I don't have any of my own yet and I'm not comfortable with using other's photos on my blog so I will provide a link to a short explanation from the Glen L web site instead, It includes a couple of photos as well.


Finally, I've been thinking a lot about what I want to name the boat and I've narrowed it down to a couple of choices. I won't reveal them yet as I want to get some sample artwork first to see how they look. Once I have a final choice I'll go into more detail. But let me say that coming up with a name was much harder than I thought  it would be.