After the glue up of the port sheer second lamination, I got the sheer glue lines mostly sanded down. I didn't do much to the bottom edge (the eventually top edge) because it's difficult to do and it's better to wait until I have the boat turned over. Mainly I knocked down any sharp glue squeeze out so people won't cut their hands when we turn the hull over.
The other edges were cleaned up however. I also spent some time cleaning up the joints on the frames where the sheer and the chines are attached. I will eventually be sealing all these joints with a small amount of epoxy, mainly as a safeguard against an water intrusion through possible tiny openings in the existing joints.
I had to pre-bend the first lamination of the starboard sheer and then lengthen the part using a scarf joint. That was accomplished Thursday and Friday. Yesterday, I started attaching the starboard sheer first lamination. Like the port side part, I am going to glue it to each frame and the stem first, one joint at a time, until I get to frame 4. This allows me to make small adjustments in the fit at these difficult joints.
The breasthook joint was done first. It was held together with a couple of screws and a single clamp since my clamping jig turned out to be a bad idea,
Since it's raining cats and dogs today, I cannot scarf join the second lamination. So I will continue working the smaller jobs such as continuing to fill other chine and sheer joints at the frames. There's also some encapsulated areas that have a few epoxy runs so I will be smoothing these out.
The job of fairing the hull structure so that the planking can be applied is rapidly approaching. To refresh the reader's memory, fairing is the task of preparing the hull for planking by smoothing down all the parts of the structure that prevent the skin from being laid down flat against the gluing surfaces.
An example of this is the forward edge of the stem, which is still square in cross section, but needs to be triangular. Other examples are the forward edges of frames 4, 5, and 6 which will need to be removed and blended into a nice curve following the body lines.
And of course, the chine, keel, and sheer edges will have to be blended into smooth lines following the frame contours. This process is fairly intimidating and I will probably spend quite a while doing it. The end result will be that the plywood skins will have smooth mating surfaces for all the attachment points.
Anyway, before applying the skins, I want to finish off a variety of small tasks besides fairing, including the seam filling mentioned above. I'll probably wait until all the fairing is completed before touching up any encapsulation that is sanded away during this cleanup.
Finally, I thought I would show a couple of shots of the boat from a different perspective, namely from inside the structure. What readers never see, but which happens somewhat often , is me sitting inside the structure imagining myself in the boat. This sort of dream building helps to keep me motivated.
What's interesting to me when I do this is the distance from the helm position on the boat and the bow. I can picture a time in the future when I will be operating the boat and looking over the long forward section. Anyway, if reader's don't see see this in the following photo's it's quite understandable, but for me, being so intimately involved in the construction, well, it's quite easy to visualize. The first photo was taken with me seated approximately where the helm station will be located (fore and aft). You can see that the bow is quite a distance from this point.
The second shot shows a view looking aft from frame 5. This is approximately where the extent of the sleeping berth will be, and again, you can see that the aft end of the boat is a good distance off. Of course, distortion makes this look further away, but, the boat is fairly long and I am sure it will be an impressive site when sitting in the water or on a trailer. Can't hardly wait!
So that's the extent of the work done this week. The pace may slow for a while because I have to spend quite a bit of money on the plywood skins as well as buy a few additional tools for fairing. Also, the fairing process itself is fairly mundane from a viewer's perspective, but I will try to find something interesting to post about.
Until next time, take care.