Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

I Now Have a Boat! Skinning Completed

Well, technically, I have a boat. She wouldn't sink (immediately) but she also wouldn't last long in her current condition. But that's okay, because another major milestone has been reached and I am happy.

Rather than get all long winded, I'll let the pictures speak for themselves for most of this.


Butt joint backing plates all in position and ready to go
.






Trimming the remaining edge of the last skin.







In addition to getting both of these done, I have been working on cleaning up the interior and adding epoxy to some of the seams. There is still more to do here and I will do this in between other tasks because I can divide these up into 30 minute jobs (ideal for after work sessions).




Side skin backing plates, fairing over screws so they are flush before encapsulation and painting



Bottom skin backing plates. Not cleaned up yet.



My plan for the interior clean up is to tackle all the areas that will be difficult to do after the hull is turned over. That means the undersides of the sheer / skin joints, the frame / skin joints, and any epoxy stuck in the limber passages. Also any epoxy that needs removing from the sides.

All of the cleanup on the inside of the bottom skins will wait until after the hull is flipped. Much easier to sand then instead of having to hold the sander and vacuum hose above my head. When all of the interior is done, the entire inner surfaces will be encapsulated with epoxy and then painted white. But that is months away (probably well after the end of the year).

The next major steps are applying a mahogany planking veneer (1/4 inch thick) to the transom and making the skeg. The skeg, is a piece approximately 11 feet long that mounts on the hull center line and serves as a means of reducing skidding when turning the boat. More on that in a later post.

For now, that's it. I am really glad to be done with this task. It took much longer than I expected.

Until next time, take care.



Click Here To Comment:

  1. So glad to see the progress! Lookin' good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Will,
      Nice to hear from you. I sure am glad to see this progress too! Still continuing to plug away at it. Hope all is well. Take care.

      Delete
  2. Carl, congratulations on completing this phase! Your boat is looking very impressive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mike,

      Just trying to catch up to the rest of you faster builders. :)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Conall. The actual fairing has yet to begin. Waiting on sandpaper. But I did just get the wood for the skeg and transom veneer so I am going to start working on those as well.

      Delete

Feel free to comment on what you've read here. I only ask that you keep it civil.