Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Did Someone Say Sanding?

This is just a short blog because I've been doing nothing except sanding. Before applying the fiberglass, I want to insure that the exterior hull surface is relatively flat.

When I was sanding down the excess epoxy on the screw holes and when sanding the skin edges down, on occasion, the sander would go a bit deeper than intended leaving some slight waviness that you can feel and occasionally see.

To rectify that, I am applying fairing compound across all the screw lines and seams on the outer skin. This is in turn is sanded down with the orbital sander and then the entire panel is gone over with the board sander. The end result is a flat surface that will make finishing the fiberglass surface later, an easier task.

I only have two photos this time, one of me sanding. It doesn't show me in a flattering light, but what the heck! It does show some of the cramped conditions I am working with. Keep in mind in this picture, it was 100 degree Fahrenheit outside and nearly that in the garage!



The other photo shows some electrical components I was able to acquire for shipping cost only. The gentleman that sent them to me (Gentleman Jim) was not asking any price other than reimbursement for shipping. As some of these items can be pricey, I felt it was a great deal and I am glad that I can be associated with fellow hobbyists such as Jim, someone who is willing to pay the goodwill forward.

Thanks Jim. Hope all is well with you.



I expect to complete the sanding early next week at which time I will move to the skeg construction and try and work out the best way to apply the end cap to the transom cutout. More on that later.

Take care.

Click Here To Comment:

  1. Hello Carl,

    I'm building a Bluejacket 25.5' wooden powerboat in Point Venture in the vicinity of Lago Vista. My email: anndavecats@gmail.com. Six years into the build with many photos on Flickr. I would enjoy comparing notes with you.

    Regards, Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dave,

      Thanks for contacting me. Your fairly close to me. I went to your website and looked at the photos. Quite impressive!. I will contact you via email. Take care

      Carl

      Delete

Feel free to comment on what you've read here. I only ask that you keep it civil.