Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Sunday, March 6, 2016

Last Bit Of Hull Construction Completed

It's seems like it's taken forever to get to this point, but I have finally reached the painting and rollover preparation stage. All construction on the hull has been completed. The spray rails took much longer than anticipated, but I was also held up by a bunch of other tasks. The two main tasks that needed completing were the repair of the bow eye hole and the sharpening of the trailing edge of the bottom skin.

After all of my care in drilling the bow eye hole over a year ago, I made one mistake that had to be corrected. The hole was too far down the stem. It's possible it would have been okay there, but it just didn't look right to me and I felt that it would better located when I get the boat on the trailer.

But that left a hole in the bow that had to be dealt with. Actually, repairing it wasn't all that difficult. I started off by plugging the hole with an oak dowel rod and epoxy.


Then a small piece of flat oak was epoxied over the mounting area. This oak strip was thick enough to allow it to be shaped to match the bow later. Shaping was accomplished by sanding.


Next the area was fiberglassed, feather sanded and re-coated with epoxy.



After the epoxy cured it was smooth sanded and is now ready for primer when I get to that point.

The trailing edge of the bottom skin at the transom, was originally rounded over in order to wrap fiberglass around the edge, since fiberglass will not conform to sharp edges. However, the trailing edge in this area needs to be a sharp in order to get a clean break of the water when under way and on plane.

I first tried to use a small dam to build up the edge, but this left some areas that still needed filling. I found that I could apply the thickened epoxy to the rounded edge and it would stay in place until cured.





After it cured, it was sanded flat on the bottom and transom faces and then re-coated with epoxy. As this area will eventually be painted with the dark blue bottom color, I was not concerned with the whiteness of the epoxy next to the stained wood on the transom.


The rest of the work accomplished was sanding down any epoxy drips that made their way onto the hull during the spray rail installation as well as giving the skeg one final smooth sanding.

Last night I started thinking about how I am going to roll the boat over and started sketching out ideas. I'll be building the rollover structure and a boat cradle while I simultaneously prime and paint the bottom of the hull. I am only going to paint the blue on the bottom to the water line and wait on the white until much later in the build. I suspect that despite my best efforts to the contrary, that there will be epoxy drips on the hull sides when I start installing the deck. So painting the hull sides now just doesn't make sense.

I still need to figure out how to determine and mark the waterline on the hull. That task as well as prepping for rollover will be covered at a later date. Until next time, take care.

Click Here To Comment:

  1. Looking good Carl.

    There's a guy on you tube, "Tips from a Shipwright", who gives a pretty good method of marking a water line.

    Conall

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Conall,

      I've seen that video also. It's not possible for me to put my boat in the water at this time in order to determine the actual waterline, but I can certainly use the rest of the technique once I establish where it is actually at. Thanks. I need to take a look at your build blog.

      Delete

Feel free to comment on what you've read here. I only ask that you keep it civil.