Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Sunday, May 29, 2016

A Splash of Paint!

Well, it's been monsoon season this year in Texas and painting days have been few and far between. But I have accomplished some of the task of getting paint on the boat. This has been one of those processes that show how the best intended plans can change due to circumstance.

The original plan was to paint the bottom blue to the waterline, turn the boat over and then finish construction. Then I would complete the painting. However, despite my best efforts, I could not come up with a satisfactory waterline that I had confidence in. Believe me, I tried. But in the end I decided that it would be best to wait until she is in the water where I can then mark the true water line. At that time I will add the blue to the bottom. How that will be done; well, I am not going to worry about it until I have to do it.

So the new plan is, paint the bottom white (which is the color of the sides as well) and as I mentioned leave the waterline marking until the day the boat is in the water. Unfortunately, I didn't have the white paint when this decision was made. So I had to order it. With delays in processing, it ended up taking nearly two weeks until it was delivered. And of course it was raining when it did arrive. But that fit in with the general flow of progress I've been experiencing the past month.

So to give the reader some idea of what's been happening, I will start back with the primer application. In a previous posting, I had gotten to the point of two coats of primer. This was subsequently smooth sanded and a third coat applied. However, I still was not satisfied with the smoothness so decided to apply a fourth coat. Of course, with the rainy weather, this was delayed several days.







Then I put intense effort into the sanding, trying to get a real smooth finish on the surface. Because of the amount of effort involved, a general lack of time, and because I love sanding (Not!!!), it took nearly a week to sand the entire bottom. Then more waiting while the paint, I ordered, was delivered and waiting for the rain to stop.




Finally just before the weekend, with two days off from work, and a little cooperation from the weather, I managed to get two coats of white paint on the hull (including a smooth sanding session in between coats).

The paint was applied with the roll and tip method which yielded okay results. However, a third coat is still necessary. Unfortunately, you guessed it, I ran out of paint and had to order more. Hopefully it won't take two weeks to get it.




You'll notice that I didn't paint down the sides in the primed area. This was originally primed down this far because I was going to paint the water line. Since that plan was changed, I elected to only paint the bottom for now. After all, it's the bottom that needs to be painted before I can turn the boat over and getting it turned over is high on my list of desirable outcomes before the summer gets too far along.

So that's where it's at right now. I realize that it's been some time since anything was posted, however, the general lack of progress dictated the schedule. So for now, that's all. Take care.

Click Here To Comment:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Will, still a few more coats to go, but I need to wait on the re-ordered paint to arrive before I can continue.

      Delete

Feel free to comment on what you've read here. I only ask that you keep it civil.