Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Saturday, July 2, 2016

Flipped!!

Well, it's done. The boat is now really a boat and it looks like a boat. More importantly, no one got hurt while turning the boat over and the boat wasn't damaged. Actually it went very smoothly. Other than being extraordinarily hot outside, it was a very pleasant experience.

I had at least 15 people there many of who were wearing a team shirt I bought for the event. A good friend brought a keg of home brew beer and we had queso and chips as well as other drinks.

This is a culmination of nearly 4 years of building, far longer than I originally thought it would take, but immensely satisfying nonetheless.

So to recap what has transpired since the last posting, here it goes.

There was a three week waiting period while the paint cured fully. Near the end of the three week period, I started putting the rollover structure and cradle back into position.




Then the boat needed to be jacked up and the casters assemblies added to the build form. This wasn't easy as there was no good place to place my normal floor jack. Instead I had to resort to a scissors jack from my wife's car. This was used to jack up one side. The caster assemblies were installed and then the other side was jacked up and completed. During the process I heard a few creaks and groans but other than looking scary, it went well enough.



I then finished the installation of the rollover structure by connecting it to the build form underneath the boat. Installation was completed by adding ratchet straps to hold the cradle on the boat.






I took this next shot primarily because it seemed like a cool shot and I knew I would never see it this way again. This is the bow of the boat as seen from underneath, after it has been raised on the casters.


Then today, at 10 AM, I had numerous friends from work, a fellow boat builder, a few neighbors, and my family to participate in the actual flipping event. There were many, many photos taken, far too many for all to be included here. They can be viewed in the photos galleries section at the top of the side bar using the "Flipping The Boat" link.

However, here are enough to give the flavor of the flip.







Once we got it on it's side, I removed the casters from the build form and transferred them to the cradle on the other side.



Then a group shot.



Finally the remainder of the flip.





And roll it back into the garage.





And finally here it is in the garage. I'll be posting another blog entry  soon with more in the garage pictures as I start to remove all the build form structure.



Now that the boat is flipped it seems even more real than when I finished planking last summer. One thing that did not happen was the feeling of being overwhelmed by the yawning interior of the open hull. I had heard from other builders that this feeling came over them when they looked at the hull and realized what is still to come. For some reason, I didn't feel that. Perhaps it's because I know what I have still to do for the next several months.

Anyway, it was a delightful experience and I am glad and thankful that so many were willing to participate in it. Now on to the next phase. Take care.

Click Here To Comment:

  1. Carl, CONGRATULATIONS on the flip! I know it's an incredibly satisfying feeling to see the hull you've worked on for so long finally sitting upright — a huge milestone reached, and the beginning of a new phase. I'm as impressed with your planning and preparation for the flip as I have been with your meticulous workmanship. I'm looking forward to following more progress. She's going to be a stunning boat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael,

      It's amazing just how much of a difference it makes seeing the boat upright. I've found my enthusiasm to work on it reinvigorated and despite the heat and humidity, I am getting out there to move forward with the project.

      Delete

Feel free to comment on what you've read here. I only ask that you keep it civil.