Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Saturday, July 9, 2016

Post Flip Clean Up

After last weekend's boat flip, I started immediately on removing the building form structure as I was anxious to see the boat without this excess lumber in the way. You can see all of this structure in the following photos. It includes the building form and the rollover structure.






However, there were a few other tasks that needed to be dealt with before I could complete all of the removal.

Before I could do anything, I needed to remove the rollover structure. This turned out to be a bit of a challenge as I had no way to get to the bolts attaching it to the cradle. even if I had managed to get them out, the cradle would have been unsupported on the corners during that time. I didn't want to take any chances with this so I simply sawed through the plywood on the rollover structure where it was connected to the cradle, leaving a small piece of plywood still attached.

Secondly, I wanted to add additional supports under the transom and under the bow since both of these extend quite a bit from the cradle supporting the boat. Before I could add these supports, I needed to level the boat fore and aft and side to side (athwartship).

The building form longitudinal lumber that the frames originally sat on would serve as a convenient place to place a level to get the boat setting right in all directions. In order to get to those longitudinals, I needed to remove some of the build form legs near the aft end.






 There was a considerable amount of hardware that had to be removed. Combined with the heat in the garage and a broken battery charger for my battery powered drill, and it ended up taking several days to get to this point. It also left me with a large amount of lumber that I needed to find somewhere to store. The lumber ended up being stored mostly in front of the boat with a few pieces stored in ceiling racks I have in my garage.


Leveling the boat was fairly straightforward. I had figured that I would need to jack up the cradle after the boat was flipped so I had intentionally placed the side members higher up to allow room for my floor jack to fit under them. The entire cradle assembly was jacked up and placed on small lumber blocks with additional blocks added on the aft end and starboard side to get the boat level.



Once the boat was level, I made the supports for the transom end and bow and placed them into position. They are simply pieces of 2 by 4 lumber lag bolted together and the supporting surface covered with carpet I had left over from the cradle construction.





These additional supports are more for piece of mind as they take the strain off the keel while the boat is supported by the cradle in the middle section. They also prevent the boat from rocking fore and aft as I move around inside the hull.

Once all of that was done, I removed the remaining building form structure leaving an empty hull.




Finally I started into removing the excess epoxy in the bottom of the boat. This is going to take quite some time as I am sanding it rather than chipping it out. When I have removed all of it, I will epoxy fillet all the seams between the skin and the boat structure and then encapsulate the entire inside of the boat. As I said, I expect that to take quite a bit of time, so there won't be a lot of photogenic things to record for a while.

So that's where I am at as of today. Take care.

Click Here To Comment:

  1. Looks like a great project!
    Reminds me of Weston farmers Sundance! Love the build
    James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks James. This project is far and away large than anything else I have ever done (other than raising a family), and is the most satisfying hobby I have ever experienced.

      Delete

Feel free to comment on what you've read here. I only ask that you keep it civil.