Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Sunday, August 7, 2016

Anchor Well Started

This week started off with continuing the interior cleanup and sealing. After all the sanding from the previous weeks, I needed to seal all the seams between the frames and the plywood planking. I'm doing this in order to insure there are no possible openings for water to get into the wood structure.

This task involves, wiping down the area, taping it off, applying thickened epoxy and smoothing it in to the seam, and then removing the tape. All of this is done in my garage with temperatures hovering at 100 degree Fahrenheit and no air conditioning. Needless to say, it has been uncomfortable and not fun.



As the week wore on, I found it more and more difficult to drag myself out to the oven to do the work. I decided that I needed to change things up. What I am now doing instead is work on another part of the boat. Then, every once in awhile, I will seal another section in the hull.

After considering this for awhile, I decided that I wanted to do the section forward of frame 6. Since more than 3 years ago, I've been planning on having a bulkhead panel on frame 6 with a hatch to access that area from inside the boat cabin. I had always assumed it would be the anchor storage area and perhaps other miscellaneous stuff, but hadn't thought beyond that point until now.

One of the future problems I knew I was going to have to deal with was how to get the anchor out of the forward compartment and outside the boat. As designed, there was only two ways to do this. One option was to take the anchor and rope through the cabin and out the back door, climb over the boat, connect it to the top of the deck at the bow, and then toss the anchor into the water.

A second option was to take it through the deck hatch (over the berths) and lay it on the deck, then go out and hook it up as before and toss it into the water. Both of these options didn't set too well with me and I wanted to come up with something better.

What I came up with is an anchor well located in the upper section of the area forward of frame 6, sealed off from the lower section, and with a drain overboard for any water fro the rope or anchor. Interestingly enough, I came up with this idea before I knew that this was a common thing to do on boats!

To access this anchor well, I am going to have a hatch in the top deck with a small cutout in the forward corner so that the hatch can be closed while the anchor is out. The rope will be connected in the anchor compartment.

Here is a rough drawing showing what I have in mind.


There are several things that have to be considered when designing this well. First off, the floor of the well cannot be too low or it will interfere with the bow eye that will eventually be added to the front. I also wanted to leave room below it for storage. There will be some electrical wiring in this area and I need to allow for that. The hatch in the top deck and the compartment needs to be large enough to get the anchor in there along with rope. And I want to have the well contain a drain overboard for any water that collects in there.

To get started on this, I first made a pattern for the bulkhead panel using some of the 1/4" poster board I have on hand.




And then made the panel out of Okoume plywood I had left over from planking.



Next I wanted to add a filler block for the area between the panel and floor timber at the bottom of the frame.



After that, I wanted to start working on the lower storage area. This area will be boxed off so that foam insulation can be added between the compartment and the hull planking. It also keeps small items from falling into the bilge area. So far, all I have done is make the floor panel .




There is still more work to do in that section, so I will be completing that before moving on to the anchor well compartment above. All of these parts will be left uninstalled until later, as I still need to finish sealing this compartment and add paint.

As for the anchor well; I wanted to make sure that it was the correct size and that I could get an anchor into the well from the deck. There is a structural member that runs up the center line of the deck which will serve as a support for the deck and a place to hook the anchor to. But that structural member also constrains the hatch size for the deck.

I could have bought an anchor, as I will eventually need one. But in the spirit of buying things as I need them, and delaying expensive purchases until I can save for them, and because I need to save money for more lumber, I decided to wait on that purchase. Instead, I mocked up an anchor using dimensions from the Danforth website and I will use the mock up to aid in the anchor well design.

The mock up was made from dowel rod and poster board glued together with a hot glue gun (except the cross connection which is epoxied).



I must say that this anchor well project has been more enjoyable than the sanding and epoxy sealing task, even though I still have to work out in the oven. And to keep myself on track and honest, I will make sure that I spend at least one day this week doing some more sealing.

So that's it for now. Until next time, take care.

Click Here To Comment:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment on what you've read here. I only ask that you keep it civil.