Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Sunday, September 11, 2016

Carlings And Other Tasks

The boat build has been at one of those points where there is a lot of drudge work to do and little in the way of visible progress, however progress is being made. Because of the lack of visible results, I have been reluctant to post anything new to the blog. But it's been long enough, so I decided to go with what I do have done.

The installation of the carlings has been the primary structural work being done and I'll cover that in a moment. On other days, I have been working on the bottom skin seam filleting with epoxy. I am doing this one bottom section at a time. Each section's work consists of the port or starboard area between the frames as illustrated in the next photo.


The pattern of work is the same in each case. Tape off the seams, use a tapered tongue depressor to smooth thickened epoxy into the seams, remove the tape, and then smooth out the fillet with the tongue depressor by going over them lightly one more time. There are also various holes and screw heads in the wood from when the hull was being constructed. These are being filled with thickened epoxy as well.



The end result is a seam that aids in keeping any water from getting between the wood joints. This is an example of a typical seam.



After each section is cured, I go back over and smooth sand any epoxy applied over holes or screw heads. At a point in the future, after I have installed the floor (sole) support structure, I will be applying three coats of unthickened epoxy to all these areas. Then they will be painted with a white bilge paint.

As mentioned in the previous posting, the carlings serve a couple of purposes. They provide a surface to mount the cabin sides on to. They tie the frames together and along with the sheer, form the support for the narrow walkways outside the cabin. And, they add additional strength to the boat by tying the transom into the structure at the top. Here is the starboard carling just after installing and before being cleaned up.


The carlings are connected at each end by the use of blocking or cleats. That is illustrated here.



The forward cleat is pretty straightforward, but the aft blocking was a bit trickier to make. The area to fill was rather large and I had to think about how I was going to fasten the blocking to the structure. I ended up using two pieces of 1.25 inch thick pieces. I epoxied each piece in separately using two screws each time. In the previous photo it looks like there are two screws, but the piece behind it is also connected with two screws, offset from the outer piece. Of course, epoxy was also used in this construction.



And the results of the installation, two carlings, both of which will need additional fairing to match the contour of the boat fore and aft.






In the last photo, you can see the outer skin sticking up quite a way. This was purposely left long when I installed the skin last year as it will be far easier to clean it up now than it would have been when the hull was upside down. When all the skin is trimmed and the carlings and frames have been faired, this narrow section will be the walkways on the side of the boat outside of the cabin.

I still have five sections on the bottom to epoxy fillet. Because of the discomfort of working on my knees, and the heat, I am averaging one section every two days during the week. So, I expect that it will continue to be a challenge to find things to show progress on for a while longer.

That's it for now. Take care.

Click Here To Comment:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment on what you've read here. I only ask that you keep it civil.