Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Sunday, October 23, 2016

Fairing The Top For Decking

Since the last posting, I have mostly been working on fairing the side deck structure, however the pace has been pretty slow. The floor plan drawings I worked on are complete enough that I will need to mock up the interior of the boat before starting on actual construction.

However, I wanted to have the cabin sides in place as a reference for placing interior components. In order to do that, several steps must be accomplished first. Fairing the carlings and side deck structure was the first requirement. This meant shaving down the excess planking on the sides, and fairing the sheer to a straight line from the transom to approximately frame 4. The carling would also need to be faired down at the fore and aft ends to match up to the frames.

I started off by rough cutting and rough sanding the side planking to a point just above the sheer. Using the tops of the frames as a guide, I cut notches at a couple of locations. Then using a long piece of wood molding as a batten, I struck a line from the transom to frame 4. On the transom, the line had to be from a down angle. It would go through the bottom of the notches I cut at the frames.





I quickly realized that this approach was going to require too much material being cut off the sheer at the aft end. The culprit was the down angle on the transom. I remember when I made these, that I laid them out from measurements rather than using the patterns that were supplied with the plans. However, my layout resulted in too much of an angle. You can see that in the previous picture.

This was unfortunate as I had already trimmed the transom veneer planking as well. In order to correct this, I was going to need to lessen the angle. I added material on the transom that would later allow cutting the angle to a shallower degree. This was subsequently trimmed flush with the top of the transom. I wanted to get both sides plugged first before measuring a new angle, in order to keep it looking symmetrical when viewed from the aft end.




I determined a new angle which was approximately 5/8" shallower at the outside edge. The batten was re-positioned and a new line was struck. The new line required far less removal of material from the sheer. 

Then a line was drawn from approximately 12 inches forward of frame 1 (at the top of the carling) to a point lining up with the top of the transom.




This excess material was cut off with a jig saw and then planed down to the line. The sheer was planned as well. In order to get the future decking to lie flat on the structure, it was necessary to plane the sheer at an angle with the inner edge higher than t he outer edge. This is because the side decking angles downward too far.


This description of events makes it seem like this happened quite quickly, but in fact, all of this occurred over a period of three weeks while I tried various ideas, agonized over potential solutions, and slowly faired the hull. This process, mimicked the slow period I went through when I was fairing the bottom hull two years ago. 

However, eventually I reach a point where most of the port side was faired correctly. There are two spots that still need a bit more work and I will get to them soon.

To take a break from this, I decided to start the attempt of laying out the side cabin walls. Long term readers of this blog will remember that I wanted to raise the cabin height and spent quite some time redrawing the concept art to get the look I was after.

But to get that concept from paper to actual cabin sides is more tricky. The plans have an overlay of 6 inch squares in a grid. These are scaled down for the drawing. The idea is that when laying out the actual cabin sides, I will first need to recreate the 6 inch squares grid.

But before doing that, I wanted to get my raised cabin side ideas transferred to the actual plans. What I did was lay tracing paper over the plans and trace the hull  and cabin profile as well as the scaled grid of squares. The using my concept drawing, I sketched the increased cabin height and enlarged windows onto the tracing paper.I traced the original cabin profile in red and the enlarged design in blue , both on the same paper.


Then using two separate pieces of tracing paper, I retraced each design separately (the original and the re-designed). The idea here is that I want to compare these two drawings and evaluate the shapes. I plan on tweaking them as needed in order to get the shape I am after. 



When I am satisfied with the final shape, then I will recreate the 6 inch squares on larger pieces of poster boards and recreate the shape on those. These poster board drawings will be cut out and used for two purposes.

First, they will be temporarily mounted in the hull to make sure they look good on the actual boat. I will also determine if my garage door is tall enough to get the bot out with the cabin in place. Having the cabins templates in the boat will also help with mocking up the interior design.

When I am ready to make the actual cabin sides, the templates will be used to lay them out.

At the moment, the drawings are not quite right and I will be spending more time reshaping them to get the correct look. In the previous photo, the drawing on the left is the original design and the one on the right is the enlarged cabin design. Like nearly every aspect of this build, there will be a lot of going back and forth trying to get things right.

It's been slow going and I expect it will continue to be that way for some time. So until next time, take care.

Click Here To Comment:

  1. Reading your post Carl, you sound like a boat builder....nice job.

    I never considered building my boat work, rather it became a life style.

    Conall

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Conall, I agree with the life style assessment. I often use boat building after work as a means of unwinding after a day at work. Even 30 minutes when I get home does wonders for my attitude on those stressful days.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment on what you've read here. I only ask that you keep it civil.