Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Sunday, April 8, 2018

Going Hard A Port

After what seems like decades of working on the starboard side of the boat, I am moving over to the port side. I'll only be doing a limited amount of work on this side for now, just enough to allow me to get the floor in. 

I was going to do the port seat box and the port cabinet, but realized that before putting in the cabinet, I need to have the cabin sides in place first. So I will be shifting gears soon in order to start working on the cabin sides. I've only done some preliminary thinking about this so far so I won't go into any details on that aspect of the build as things will likely change.

But today's post is about the work accomplished on the port side of he cabin. Before getting into the new work, I have a bit of remaining information on the head box. After the last post, I got all of the veneering accomplished and cleaned up. The box is not assembled completely yet, and the door panels will be left for later date.


The interior of the head box had a little more work to accomplish, namely gluing in the back wall pieces. Murphy's law came into play on this episode. As much as I tried to be careful and account for all items of the construction, I missed a piece and had to make a compensation.

The back wall has an access panel opening with a panel that will be held in place by small wooden latches that turn over the panel. I had added the latches to the panel, however, I neglected to account for the center dividing wall in the head box and the latches on the left slightly interfered with the wall and could not be turned.


 Fortunately, this was not a hard fix and in the scheme of things, a minor setback. The solution was to cut two small holes in the dividing wall in the areas of the latches to give them clearance.


And then the panel was glued into place.


The other panel was also glued in place, but I don't have a photo of that at this time. The head box won't be completely installed until later as I have work to do under the floor panels.

So next up was starting to work on the port seat box. Like the starboard side seat box, this will have a flip up extension to make it wider when being used for sleeping. However, I won't be working on those for awhile. I mainly wanted to get the frame done as this affects the floor panel on the port side.


The port seat box is different in one other way. It is 4 inches longer to allow extra room for me when sleeping. The top frame had to have an extension in order to accommodate this 4 inches and still allow it to be supported by frame 4. The extension is on the right in the next photo. Frame 4 will line up with the inner cross piece.


Fitting and assembling the frame was similar to the work accomplished on the starboard piece. The only tricky part was figuring out the order of assembly to allow insertion of the silicon bronze screws in the area where the angled piece meets the extension.



As I mentioned, I started designing the cabinet that will be aft of the seat box. I didn't get much done on that other than to decide on a final size. I am still thinking about the final shape and styling, but more importantly, because of it's height, it will be necessary to install the cabin sides in first. This is why I have not done much work on the cabinet.

But in the photo below, you can see the vertical support clamped into place. The most significant deviation of this from the original mock up is that I have decided to make the cabinet much shallower in order to increase the amount of floor space in front of it. The pole shows the approximate depth in relation to the cabin side.


Since getting in the floor has to be accomplished, I stopped work on the cabinet and moved to the port floor panel. The center floor panel will remain the temporary plywood for now, but after many back and forth sessions of trial and error fitting, I had the port floor panel fitted and shaped. 




There will be a little more tweaking of the floor board required, mainly to accommodate clearance for the bilge hose and make the floor panel a little easier to get into place. Of course, at some point it will be fiberglassed and encapsulated. In this last photo, you can sort of get some idea of the amount of floor space that I have managed to keep in the cabin. This was a high priority for me as I want this boat to be comfortable to move around in.

So that's it for now. I'll be working under the floor quite a bit for the next few weeks while I save for the lumber needed for the cabin sides. I am pretty excited to get to those as it will really make the boat look like it is coming together. So until next time, take care.

Click Here To Comment:

  1. Starting to come together real nicely! I always love seeing these updates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Will, nice to hear from you. Hope all is well. Yeah, she's coming together slowly but surely. Take care.

      Delete

Feel free to comment on what you've read here. I only ask that you keep it civil.